Thursday, October 30, 2008

postcards

I have been teaching the second years how to write letters and postcards. As an exercise they had to write a postcard to me that they could drop in a cardboard postbox outside the Teacher's room. The advanced English class had to imagine themselves in 2010, writing to me just after the world cup (in which Japan had made the final but been narrowly defeated). The basic English class had to write to me telling em about their hobbies and daily activities (apparently what separates the advanced and not-so-good is their ability to imagine in a second language - an interesting thought).

Even though it was work for marks, I still got a kick receiving a tonne of mail this week. I felt like a total celebrity. These are two of the best bits of news I got form the students, the first one being an advanced learner imagining 2010 and the second being a basic learner...

Dear Jemma
How are you?
I am the best baseball player in Japan these days. And I got married.
Love Tatsuya

Dear Jemma
Today I broke my shoulder.
Love Nagata

.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I think those are the best postcard messages I have read ever ever