Monday, October 27, 2008

the archival and the incidental

Sorry about the no-writey.

I got my re-contracting papers on friday last week. It was quite a wake-up call. Coz I'm having marvellous fun but this is, I suspect, in part owed to the fact that I believe time to be suspended. While I'm here whooping it up, all you loved ones are in little glass bottles, your faces frozen in the expressions I last remember. Getting the re-contracting papers (and celebrating my three month in Japan anniversary today - hip hip hooray) is time, rudely mentioning to me that it is marching by.

Time moving on should be no problem, or at least no worry, being as it is such an inevitable and irreversible phenomenon. But it worries me here because it feels like I'm not doing anything with it! I'm not learning new things or making new memories (I know this sounds like utter rubbish but bear with me on my anniversary). If I look back through the weeks the only things that spring immediately to mind are sitting at home on the internet, sitting at my desk resenting my co-workers, sitting on trains, sitting in line at the bank. Now tell me I'm being ridiculous. Doing stuff? Im not - I just sitting!! So the sitting is what comes to mind at first, if you say then, but what about the onsen, or Hiroshima or the bookshop I'll go 'jajajaja...and that!'. So its true (or not true - depending what side you are on), I do do stuff.

But then why do I remember the not-doing, not the doing? Maybe my brain has taken the real experiences further away into my memory - currently unavailable - for extra special preparation before they are filed. They are being fired to be extra strong and durable because they are going to be used a lot in times to come- hauled out for anyone with an unfortunate ten minutes spent with me sitting on a train or in a queue at the bank. They have to be properly preserved. Which means at present I'm left with the dross, and as readers of my blog - so are you; right now we only have the cheap memories which in two weeks time will be tatters.

One thing I am wanting share with ya'll is that I have seen at least a dozen students in Japan with grey hair. Not a hair here and there, all my students have that; no I'm talking a dozen full heads silver. The kids, most often boys, can't be older than sixteen. Amazing hey?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be a doos. Of course you're making memories. The reason you only remember the downtime is because everything else is so new and so strange and so foreign that your widdle brain just can't compute it.

But here's something weird: when you leave, the stuff you will remember with the most vividness and fondness is the everyday stuff. Like grocery shopping in totally different supermarkets and riding your bike, and learning how to make all those systems, (that were gibberish at first) work for you on a day-to-day basis.

It's true, ek se...